[asterisk-dev] Notification when no message left

Ben RUBSON ben.rubson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 11:12:58 CST 2014

Le 8 mars 2014 à 17:14, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> a écrit :
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Ben RUBSON <ben.rubson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> It could be useful to have an option to be notified by mail when the caller does not leave a message on the voicemail.
>>
>> We could add two options :
>> - notifynomsg=yes|no
>> - emailbodynomsg=${VM_DATE}, ${VM_CIDNAME} - ${VM_CIDNUM} called but did not leave a message
>>
>> I use Asterisk 1.8 on my Debian stable box (exact version is 1.8.13.1~dfsg1-3+deb7u3), could we think about a patch for it ?
>>

> A few things:
>
> (1) In general, new features are typically written for Asterisk trunk.
> Improvements and new features are generally not made in release
> branches [1]. If someone did write such a new feature, they could of
> course back port it to 1.8, but it would not be included in the
> branch.
>
> (2) As time has gone on, the philosophy in the Asterisk project has
> moved away from providing monolithic applications with lots of levers
> to control functionality to providing you the building blocks to build
> your applications. This is evident not only in the interfaces Asterisk
> has traditionally exposed, but also in the interfaces we've added
> recently [2]. The goal is that you would be able to build your own
> voicemail application with what customizations and features you want,
> rather than requiring changes in the C modules themselves. Hence, the
> emphasis on new feature development has moved away from tweaking the
> existing dialplan applications to making sure that people have the
> building blocks to build the things themselves.

Hello Matt,

Thank you very much for your answer and this explanation :-)

> More specifically to your proposal:
>
> This is really already possible in the dialplan. The VoiceMail
> application [3] returns a VMSTATUS of FAILED if a user leaves a
> voicemail that does not meet the minimum duration requirements. When
> the application exits, you could check the status of the variable and
> - if the status is failed - use an AGI or a shell script to create the
> e-mail and send it.

Good to know that it is already possible, good news !

However I already tried to put System() in my dial plan just after VoiceMail(), but System() never runs :

[Support]
(…)
exten => s,4,VoiceMail(1@${CONTEXT},us)
exten => s,5,System(/bin/echo test | /usr/sbin/sendmail user at mail.com)

Of course if I put System() just before VoiceMail(), it runs fine.

Am I doing something wrong ?

> Matt
>
> [1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Software+Configuration+Management+Policies
> [2] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+12+ARI