[asterisk-dev] Notification when no message left

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Sat Mar 8 10:14:59 CST 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Ben RUBSON <ben.rubson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It could be useful to have an option to be notified by mail when the caller does not leave a message on the voicemail.
>
> We could add two options :
> - notifynomsg=yes|no
> - emailbodynomsg=${VM_DATE}, ${VM_CIDNAME} - ${VM_CIDNUM} called but did not leave a message
>
> I use Asterisk 1.8 on my Debian stable box (exact version is 1.8.13.1~dfsg1-3+deb7u3), could we think about a patch for it ?

A few things:

(1) In general, new features are typically written for Asterisk trunk.
Improvements and new features are generally not made in release
branches [1]. If someone did write such a new feature, they could of
course back port it to 1.8, but it would not be included in the
branch.

(2) As time has gone on, the philosophy in the Asterisk project has
moved away from providing monolithic applications with lots of levers
to control functionality to providing you the building blocks to build
your applications. This is evident not only in the interfaces Asterisk
has traditionally exposed, but also in the interfaces we've added
recently [2]. The goal is that you would be able to build your own
voicemail application with what customizations and features you want,
rather than requiring changes in the C modules themselves. Hence, the
emphasis on new feature development has moved away from tweaking the
existing dialplan applications to making sure that people have the
building blocks to build the things themselves.

More specifically to your proposal:

This is really already possible in the dialplan. The VoiceMail
application [3] returns a VMSTATUS of FAILED if a user leaves a
voicemail that does not meet the minimum duration requirements. When
the application exits, you could check the status of the variable and
- if the status is failed - use an AGI or a shell script to create the
e-mail and send it.

Matt

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Software+Configuration+Management+Policies
[2] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+12+ARI