[asterisk-dev] Polycom Server Side DND

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Mon Jul 14 23:52:54 CDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM, Ryan Wagoner <rswagoner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am working on adding support for Polycom's server side DND to Asterisk 11
> with FreePBX 2.11. I found the below post that shows how to do this with
> older Polycom 3.3.x firmware. The phone dials feature codes behind the
> scenes to turn on / off DND. With firmware 4.1.7 this is no longer
> supported.
>
> http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/Server-based-DND-using-FAC-NOTIFY/m-p/8042#M1080
>
> The Polycom implementation follows the Broadsoft feature key synchronization
> which is detailed in the below PDF.
>
> http://community.polycom.com/polycom/attachments/polycom/VoIP/2233/1/DeviceFeatureKeySynchronizationFD.pdf
>
> My approach is to add support for the as-feature-event subscription. I've
> created a patch against Certified Asterisk 11.2-cert2 that works. I am
> originating a call to a dummy context so I can dial the FreePBX DND feature
> code within chan_sip.c. I took the dial code from res_calendar. When
> pressing DND on the phone, the phone subscribes asking to change the DND
> status, the dialplan executes, a notify with the new status is sent to the
> phone, and the phone updates the line key to show DND.
>
> While my patch works I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on a better way
> to approach this.
>
> Dummy context for call
> [sip-feature-xml]
> exten => s,1,Answer
> exten => s,n,Wait(10)
>
> Polycom Broadsoft Feature Event Patch
> http://pastebin.com/rYi2JtAR
>
> Asterisk console output
> http://pastebin.com/0hcHt1BQ
>
> sip show subscriptions
> 10.1.1.18      2006             36a479a8-5f4397  2006 at from-inter  Busy
> x-as-feature-ev <none>     000600

The document you linked to and posted publicly has a large and rather
unambiguous copyright notice:

{quote}
Any technical documentation that is made available by BroadSoft, Inc.
is proprietary and confidential and is considered the copyrighted work
of BroadSoft, Inc. This publication is for distribution under
BroadSoft non-disclosure agreement only.
No part of this publication may be duplicated without the express
written permission of BroadSoft, Inc. 9737 Washingtonian Boulevard,
Gaithersburg, MD 20878.
{quote}

We have, in the past, received patches on the issue tracker that were
implementations of Broadsoft functionality that the patch contributors
did not have the copyright for. Even if you have obtained sufficient
permission from Broadsoft to implement such a feature for your own
Asterisk system, such patches are not acceptable for general inclusion
in the Asterisk project without written permission from Broadsoft
stating that they approve the of the patch's inclusion, subject to the
license contributor agreement.

This is an unmoderated, public mailing list. While you may be choosing
to simply ask for assistance about a patch you have personally
written, and were never planning on contributing said feature back to
the project, I personally would not suggest discussing this work here
further unless Broadsoft has licensed you to do so.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager