[asterisk-dev] CentOS packaging

Ben Langfeld ben at langfeld.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 13:03:11 CST 2014

After a conversation with Rusty last week, I've become aware that for a
simple installation of asterisk (11) from the CentOS repositories at
http://packages.asterisk.org/centos/, the 'current' repo at
http://packages.digium.com/centos is required to satisfy the dependency of
the 'asterisk' package on 'asterisk-dahdi'.

I understand that there are licensing reasons for this package to not be
available from the community repo, and I'm not going to get into the
complexity of that, but this situation is rather odd. It's required to add
a total of three repos, from two different domains, just to do 'yum install
asterisk' and get something from this decade. This seems excessively
complex, and likely unnecessary.

Is there anything that can be done to simplify this? Is the dependency on
asterisk-dahdi really necessary? Is there a reason not to publish the
contents of the 'current' repo to all of the 'asterisk-MAJOR' repos, to
reduce the required repo-count to 1?

Cheers,
Ben Langfeld