[asterisk-dev] asterisknow-version

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Sat Dec 27 18:15:13 CST 2014

On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 7:32 PM, Jonathan White <uvacity at googlemail.com>
wrote:

>   I’m not sure this is the correct channel to use but can I suggest the
> asterisknow-version rpm is not a dependency for asterisk13 and above?
>
> I understand the reason why this was done initially but it courses more
> problems that it solves
>
> First asterisknow-version overwrites the issues file which we use for
> displaying system information
> Second if you de install or mark asterisknow-version not to be installed
> in kickstart, you can not update your asterisk installation due to
> asterisknow-version being a dependency
>
> Is there a way to stop asterisknow-version from overwriting the issues
> file?
>
> Lastly I think there is a difference with the way repository data is
> compiled for asterisk 12 and above. I use revisor to help generate
> installation media. Revisor happily collects the repo data and downloads
> the required RPM’s when I use the Asterisk 11 repos but Asterisk 12 and
> above I have download the packages locally, compile my own repo data and
> use a local repository rather than the official site. Is there a difference
> in the way the repo data is generated in asterisks 12 and above?

If you'd like to see changes in the packages provided on
packages.asterisk.org, the correct thing to do is to file an issue on the
issue tracker in the ANOW project:

https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ANOW

To be frank, however, there are larger concerns with the current structure
of the packages that supersede the concerns you raise - namely, the lack of
being able to provide packages for distros outside of CentOS. I doubt that
there will be many improvements made to the packages at this time, as their
current structure does provide something for a fair number of users in the
community.

If that doesn't work for you, I'd suggest making your own packages.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager