[asterisk-dev] [svn-commits] rmudgett: branch 1.8 r411715 - in /branches/1.8: ./ channels/ configs/ includ...

Russell Bryant russell at russellbryant.net
Sat Apr 5 16:41:31 CDT 2014

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Paul Belanger
<paul.belanger at polybeacon.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 2:58 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 04 Apr 2014, at 20:32, SVN commits to the Digium repositories <
> svn-commits at lists.digium.com> wrote:
> >
> >> -             case 'I':
> >> -                     ast_set_flag(&ast_options,
> AST_OPT_FLAG_INTERNAL_TIMING);
> >> -                     break;
> >
> > Just checking... I would rather add a NOTICE log here that "i" is not
> needed any more. Please make sure that configurations starting with "- i"
> will not suddenly fail.
> >
> I agree with Olle here, this seems to be a massive change mid-release.
>  Removing a command-line option is certainly going to break some
> peoples boxes.  Why not a deprecated warning and then removal from
> trunk to give people time to react?

FWIW, specifying this command line option or asterisk.conf option, even
after it has been removed, should be fine.  It will just be ignored and no
new warnings will be generated, AFAICT.

On the surface, this looks like a change that shouldn't be made in a
release branch.  However, this really is an option that should have never
existed.  It's never the right thing to turn it off.  The change to make it
the only way it works is really the right thing to do.  It was equivalent
to an option called "make_things_work_properly=yes".

--
Russell Bryant