[asterisk-dev] Segfault on incoming SIP call with res_ldap

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Tue Oct 29 11:08:29 CDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Dominik George <nik at naturalnet.de> wrote:
>> I'm sorry you're having a problem with Asterisk crashing. You should
>> probably take the backtrace on the debian bug tracker and attach it to the
>> existing ASTERISK issue [...]
>
> Hmm, it is already there.
>
>> If you need this bug fixed, I highly recommend offering a bug bounty [1].
>
> Haha! Seriously, is that the only way to get someone in a *community*
> project to even *respond* to something?

No.  But it IS a way for it to get addressed more quickly.  Yes, it's
been 3 weeks, and in many business scenarios, such a response time is
entirely too slow.

> Am I to offer at least $500 for fixing something that is most likely a
> broken pointer that can be fixed with two lines, if not two bytes of
> code?

Any offer is for speeding the process up, not for the problem getting
fixed.  Since you brought it up on a mailing list after using the
usual channels of filing a bug report, it's a natural assumption that
this is very important to you.

> Honestly, I am simply looking for someone to say "this bug comes from
> there", and I will most likely even provide a patch myself once I
> understand how it is triggered.

Given that ap is used in two contexts, my guess would be that there's
a missing va_copy().  This is how all of the other realtime drivers do
it.  What's odd is that this code hasn't been modified in 6 months,
and yet you're seeing a problem.  What was the previous version that
you were using (so that a code comparison may be done)?

-Tilghman