[asterisk-dev] SIP: So you mean you want to be able to *dial* something?

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Thu Mar 7 08:43:45 CST 2013

I'm back!

First off I want to thank everyone for their comments and the discussion
that occurred.

I think in the end I'm going to settle for a compromise based on all the
various thoughts and opinions.

Dialing an endpoint or AOR directly will only cause one target to be
dialed. If you want to support multiple contacts for an AOR (whether to
allow this or not is configurable) you will need to use the dialplan
function to produce a suitable dial string. The issues pointed out by
others (call forwarding for one) are just too great to push this logic
into the SIP work. I consider this a first step into this new area that
will make quite a few people happy with no immediate impact to the core.

For deployments that need to individually address devices the normal
approach of individual endpoint configurations for each is still a
viable and supported option. The above work does not impact this at all.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp