[asterisk-dev] SIP Stack - Update

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Tue Dec 11 12:07:25 CST 2012

Faidon Liambotis wrote:
> Hi,

Hola,

> On 12/11/12 03:56, Matthew Jordan wrote:
>> The second was easier to answer. While not exactly a trivial effort, it
>> is possible to modify the pjproject build system to produce shared
>> object libraries suitable for packaging. Teluu has agreed to support
>> such an effort, although the work would have to be started by the
>> Asterisk project. The initial project to create such a package is
>> outlined on the Asterisk wiki [4]. At a minimum, Digium will work to create:
>>   * A Git repository with a modified build system that produces shared
>> object libraries and install targets of the libraries needed by Asterisk.
>>   * Tarballs on downloads.asterisk.org.
>>   * A package for CentOS.
>> Ideally, the entire repository would end up being pushed up stream, but
>> this would work in the interim to pull pjproject outside of the Asterisk
>> source. The results of this effort will be available for developers who
>> are interested in using them as the basis for creating and maintaining
>> packages for other distributions.
>
> That's great news. Thanks for your efforts on this!
>
> Packaging is important in my opinion too (duh), however I'm wondering
> what you decided to do regarding the concerns that were raised regarding
> forking, upstream bugs etc.

I'll chime in a bit here with my thoughts.

> In other words,
> - Is your git repository only for shared library/build system/packaging
> changes or are you going to push SIP-related fixes there too?

I expect that the repo would end up being strictly shared library/build
system/packaging changes. I've taken a gander at what we had to do in
Asterisk SCF for our SIP functionality there and in the end either the
changes were merged upstream or different functionality was created in
pjproject which accomplishes the same goal. My gut tells me that it
wouldn't be until we got into some very specific obscure SIP features
that we would have to make changes.

> - Are you going to gurantee an proper versioned stable ABI with a SONAME
> etc.?

Until the effort really kicks off I don't know for sure. There'll
probably be discussion about it.

> - Is this shared library expected to be used by third-parties too?

Expected? Nah. Could they use it? Sure.

> - Are you going to assume upstream responsibilities too, like
> reviewing/merging non-Asterisk-related patches, e.g. the
> python-sipsimple ones?

As Matt mentioned Teluu is open to incorporating the changes required if
reasonable, with us taking the first steps. I'm optimistic that as the
effort progresses the impact to other platforms will be small and it
will end up occurring. If this doesn't then we'll cross that bridge when
we get to it in my mind.

> - How's versioning going to happen?
> (etc., I think you get what I'm asking)

For releases? During development I think we'd just follow the 2.x series
and keep it all in git. If we end up having to maintain all this stuff?
Fllowing Teluu as they make releases.

Disclaimer: The above are my thoughts. MINE! You can't have them.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp