[asterisk-dev] SIP Stack - Update

Faidon Liambotis paravoid at debian.org
Tue Dec 11 11:48:10 CST 2012

Hi,

On 12/11/12 03:56, Matthew Jordan wrote:
> The second was easier to answer. While not exactly a trivial effort, it
> is possible to modify the pjproject build system to produce shared
> object libraries suitable for packaging. Teluu has agreed to support
> such an effort, although the work would have to be started by the
> Asterisk project. The initial project to create such a package is
> outlined on the Asterisk wiki [4]. At a minimum, Digium will work to create:
>  * A Git repository with a modified build system that produces shared
> object libraries and install targets of the libraries needed by Asterisk.
>  * Tarballs on downloads.asterisk.org.
>  * A package for CentOS.
> Ideally, the entire repository would end up being pushed up stream, but
> this would work in the interim to pull pjproject outside of the Asterisk
> source. The results of this effort will be available for developers who
> are interested in using them as the basis for creating and maintaining
> packages for other distributions.

That's great news. Thanks for your efforts on this!

Packaging is important in my opinion too (duh), however I'm wondering
what you decided to do regarding the concerns that were raised regarding
forking, upstream bugs etc.

In other words,
- Is your git repository only for shared library/build system/packaging
changes or are you going to push SIP-related fixes there too?
- Are you going to gurantee an proper versioned stable ABI with a SONAME
etc.?
- Is this shared library expected to be used by third-parties too?
- Are you going to assume upstream responsibilities too, like
reviewing/merging non-Asterisk-related patches, e.g. the
python-sipsimple ones?
- How's versioning going to happen?
(etc., I think you get what I'm asking)

Thanks,