[asterisk-dev] Berkeley DB vs SQLite

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Mon Jun 20 13:12:50 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:
> It's not large, but my vote is the opposite.
>
> For the majority of users, installation is done via a package.  The
> additional dependency will get pulled in automatically.  Can anyone point to
> a modern distribution that does not include a sqlite3 package?

Sorry for the slow response, but I have to agree with Russell here.  I
don't see a compelling reason to pull the SQLite code into the
Asterisk codebase.

> Including it in the tree introduces a number of unnecessary burdens on us.
>  It's more code that we have to maintain and attempt to keep in sync with
> the upstream version.  We should be working to move away from that as much
> as possible.

And as the leader of a fairly well-known Linux distribution, I have to
point out that it puts a burden on packagers and distributions as
well.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader