[asterisk-dev] Berkeley DB vs SQLite

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Jun 15 10:33:32 CDT 2011

On 6/15/11 6:59 AM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> On 06/15/2011 05:47 AM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 08:59:46AM +0200, Olle E Johansson wrote:
>>
>>> What's the license for Sqlite?
>>
>> It is in the public domain.
>>
>>> Can we import the code?
>>
>> As long as it is buildable with a system copy of SQLite3 .
>
> As long as the code is not too large, my vote would be to incorporate it
> into the tree, but provide a configure script option to use a
> system-provided version (like we already for libgsm and possibly others).

It's not large, but my vote is the opposite.

For the majority of users, installation is done via a package.  The
additional dependency will get pulled in automatically.  Can anyone
point to a modern distribution that does not include a sqlite3 package?

For those that build from source, installing a sqlite3 package is a
minor extra step compared to the amount of effort in building custom
source versions of Asterisk.

Including it in the tree introduces a number of unnecessary burdens on
us.  It's more code that we have to maintain and attempt to keep in sync
with the upstream version.  We should be working to move away from that
as much as possible.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.     |    Engineering Manager, Asterisk