[asterisk-dev] Berkeley DB vs SQLite

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Jun 20 21:33:49 CDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Jared Smith <jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:
>> It's not large, but my vote is the opposite.
>>
>> For the majority of users, installation is done via a package.  The
>> additional dependency will get pulled in automatically.  Can anyone point to
>> a modern distribution that does not include a sqlite3 package?
>
> Sorry for the slow response, but I have to agree with Russell here.  I
> don't see a compelling reason to pull the SQLite code into the
> Asterisk codebase.

Yes, especially since SQLite is already an optional dependency for a
number of modules, making it a required dependency is a small step.

>> Including it in the tree introduces a number of unnecessary burdens on us.
>>  It's more code that we have to maintain and attempt to keep in sync with
>> the upstream version.  We should be working to move away from that as much
>> as possible.
>
> And as the leader of a fairly well-known Linux distribution, I have to
> point out that it puts a burden on packagers and distributions as
> well.

Amen, brother!  And as the person whom the packaging work falls most
directly on for that well-known Linux distribution I'd appreciate it
if SQLite can be kept out of the Asterisk source tree.

--
Jeff Ollie