[asterisk-dev] [svn-commits] wdoekes: trunk r347192 - in /trunk: CHANGES UPGRADE.txt apps/app_voicemail.c

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Dec 7 07:47:33 CST 2011

On 12/07/2011 07:04 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 2:24 AM, Olle E. Johansson<oej at edvina.net>  wrote:
>>
>> 6 dec 2011 kl. 21:23 skrev SVN commits to the Digium repositories:
>>
>>> +   The MAILBOX_EXISTS dialplan function has been deprecated in favour of
>>> +   VM_INFO.
>>
>> Thanks for bringing back the possibility to deprecate old stuff. I did not notice this policy change, but I'm all behind it.
>> Sometimes we need to clean up and make things more logical.
>
> Deprecating things never went away.  It's a question of what
> deprecation means.  We just stopped removing lots of deprecated
> applications and functions due to the backlash we were getting due to
> how messy upgrades were as a result.  You can still deprecate
> something without removing it, which is what I'm in favor of in most
> cases.

Yep, that's it. Deprecated functionality will continue to be present,
and will get bug fixes, until such time as it is no longer an efficient
usage of time to do so. For example, if app_voicemail was to get
completely rewritten at some point, then VM_INFO() would be converted as
part of that effort, but MAILBOX_EXISTS() would not.

--
Kevin P. Fleming