[asterisk-dev] bug 0016466: cidname and cidnum in output of "sip show peers"

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Mon Mar 22 17:29:53 CDT 2010

Ron Arts wrote:
>> I think the issue here is not that this is a small feature that is useful for
>> you, but rather that we have existing implementations that may expect the output
>> to be of a certain format (i.e. the way it is now), and that changing that
>> output formatting would break an existing implementation (even if the use of the
>> output in a script is not recommended).
>
> That sounds a bit patronizing. I only suggested it for trunk. And I honestly
> believe this feature isn't only useful to me, but to a lot of people out there.
> Too bad nobody is stepping up to confirm that :-(

That certainly wasn't my intention. I was just stating that we have to be
careful about what we change, even between major versions as we have to be
careful about backwards compatibility. That was my only intention there.
Sometimes when I get going too quickly my tone I suppose can sound a bit
patronizing.

> Anyway, what about the other suggestion? Should I spare myself the trouble?
> Are there people depending on parsing logfile output?

I suppose there possibly are, but I have no additional opinion on that. I think
adding some additional information could be useful, but I'm probably a bit late
to the party now as I see Olle and Russell have had a conversation I haven't
caught up on yet.

Leif.