[asterisk-dev] bug 0016466: cidname and cidnum in output of "sip show peers"

Andreas Sikkema h323 at ramdyne.nl
Mon Mar 22 18:29:35 CDT 2010

On Mar 22, 2010, at 5:30 PM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

>> Anyway, what about the other suggestion? Should I spare myself the trouble?
>> Are there people depending on parsing logfile output?
> I have a solution where I take manager output and log to MySQL so that support
> staff have all the information and don't have to try to parse output from the CLI
> or even use the CLI, as it in the case of servers with high load can affect the
> performance of the Asterisk process when you run it over TCP connections (like SSH).

[Warning, may contain incendiary comments, please apply asbestos underwear when steam is escaping from ears]

If you are depending on CLI output in a script and you're too stupid to code a little robustness in your script, you deserve every problem when the output changes slightly.

There's enough minor differences between two Asterisk versions related to the CLI that for a change adding useful information to some of the show commands is not a bad thing.

Not everyone is running heavily loaded Asterisk installations where logging into the CLI through SSH is a problem. I'm running a small Asterisk within a VM (without breaking a sweat) for at most 100 SIP devices where Asterisk is nothing more than a simple SIP B2BUA and would _love_ some useful output on the various show commands. A little more information would speed up my work a lot without having to build a log parser, a database design and a web app just to extract some simple call related information from Asterisk.

If people want more than that that they should just build something on top of AMI or something. Even on a Cisco AS5XY0 gateway it's not that hard to get an active call overview containing which A party called which B party, Asterisk should at least be able to that for simple A to B calls

Asterisk could really use some UI TLC geared to "PBX" administrators instead of C programmers checking if they're code is working.

--
Andreas