[asterisk-dev] CSTA (was: GSoC 2010 - Calling for Project Ideas and Mentors)

Chris Mylonas chris at opencsta.org
Tue Mar 2 15:03:43 CST 2010

Hi Russell,

Thanks for your reply.  I think I just needed to get that
out-of-my-system-off-my-chest moreso than anything - please find comments
within, it gave me a chance to further think about it - in a more
co-operative way.

In summary:
uaCSTA is a subset.  It is doable by someone in school still.  I wrote the
start of the opencsta project whilst at school in my spare time in good
entrepreneurial spirit.  And working here http://www.omnium.net.au - the
next generation of kids are certainly cluey enough to pick something up
quick enough - especially with the help from mentors.  uaCSTA is a small
subset - maybe 6 functions all up.  It will be the integration within
asterisk that will be the harder part in my opinion.  As a mentor on the
CSTA side of things - I have no familiarity with asterisk internals.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:

> On 03/01/2010 08:07 PM, Chris Mylonas wrote:
> > I'm interested in mentoring a csta project, because I know that stuff
> pretty
> > well.  I'm not intimately familiar with asterisk at a developer level
> > though.
>
> If the project is not a modification to Asterisk, then it's not really a
> fit for our participation in the program.  If it was implemented as
> something inside of Asterisk, it seems to me to be much larger in scope
> than what I think would be best for a student to implement in a Summer.

It's an inside asterisk, however - uaCSTA, which is a subset of the full
CSTA spec, only deals with a handful of events and functions.  When I say
handful, it literally is less than a dozen.