[asterisk-dev] CSTA (was: GSoC 2010 - Calling for Project Ideas and Mentors)

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Mar 2 09:15:15 CST 2010

On 03/01/2010 08:07 PM, Chris Mylonas wrote:
> I'm interested in mentoring a csta project, because I know that stuff pretty
> well.  I'm not intimately familiar with asterisk at a developer level
> though.

If the project is not a modification to Asterisk, then it's not really a
fit for our participation in the program.  If it was implemented as
something inside of Asterisk, it seems to me to be much larger in scope
than what I think would be best for a student to implement in a Summer.

> I'd like to know what options to consider.
>
> Straight off the bat I can say that I'm a little concerned with:

None of this is really related to GSoC, but ...

> a) signing a developer waiver because I don't see any benefit

I assume you mean the contributor license agreement?

https://issues.asterisk.org/view_license_agreement.php

The most obvious benefit is getting code upstream and into Asterisk.

> b) using the asterisk-forge, the ToS state that I must give up my rights to
> Digium - is this software licensing as well for code that sits inside the
> svn, or ONLY what is posted on the forge website?

Can you point to the exact language that you are concerned about?  I
think you are misunderstanding it.

> c)  re: licensing - if a csta library could be created, what are the options
> re: licensing, and packaging  - asterisk vs asterisk-addons  - opencsta
> redistribution commitments/rights
> d)  finally, which license - opencsta is licensed LGPL written in java -
> simply because I can always do something with it in a proprietary sense.

If it is implemented as a library, then it would not be distributed
directly with Asterisk.  If it requires an Asterisk component, and the
licensing is acceptable, then it would be distributed with Asterisk.  We
have done away with the Asterisk-addons package as of Asterisk 1.8.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager, Open Source Software