[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.8 Branch Creation

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Jul 21 21:39:12 CDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
> On 10-07-21 07:03 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> > If you have anything pending, please try to get it in as soon as
> > possible. If you have something that can't make it by Friday, but
> > you
> > think could be done in the next couple of weeks, then that's still a
> > possibility. Let's talk about it.
>
> The only thing on my list that I really want to get in is the non-root
> install branch by Paul Belanger as I think this would could go a long ways to
> making Asterisk more secure by default.
>
> As we're working on the next Asterisk book, I'd prefer that was in
> Asterisk 1.8 so we can document it for the next book edition. I've been testing it
> and it seems pretty close. I know Paul has a few more things he needs to get
> done along with documentation, so hopefully we can get it in within the next
> couple of weeks if it's not ready to go by this Friday.
>
> I think part of this is dependent on Paul's available time which I
> can't speak for.

I'm sure most of the primary development and testing has been on Linux.  What's the status of this patch on non-Linux platforms?  I think that's my biggest concern with it right now.

I do agree that making it easier to install and run Asterisk as non-root is a good thing, though.  Perhaps we can get time from someone in our team to help with getting things finished up in the next week or two.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.  |  Engineering Manager, Open Source Software