[asterisk-dev] [Asterisk 0017576]: [patch] Cannot join a queue when all members are paused and "joinempty=no".

Dave Woolley david.woolley at bts.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 11:53:52 CDT 2010

The fix that has just been committed for this erroneously, in my view, treats paused the same as unavailable.

In my view, paused indicates a very temporary unavailability, where queueing would be always be reasonable, whereas unavailable represents a rather longer period, e.g. when an agent has logged off, and possibly gone home for the night.  "no" is already not useful for when agents can log off, but the change means that even "strict" is not useful, because it will dump callers that could be serviced.

A further complication is that the paused status is orthogonal to the device state.  You can definitely have paused and unavailable at the same time.  It is a long time since I looked at this area in detail, but, at the moment, I'm not 100% sure that invalid and paused is not also a valid combination.  A quick skim of the code shows no sign that paused + invalid is not a "valid" combination.

Whilst the change slightly improves the handling of paused if all your queue members are added dynamically, or you never pause an invalid member, it doesn't address the real problem, which is that paused should only really be considered when the member is available and there should be a way of rejecting calls when all agents are logged out, but accepting them when they are all logged in but paused.

We make heavy use of pausing, to control which calls actually reach an agent, and we found that none of the joinempty options worked well and this change will not make things better.  We resorted to using dialplan code to check the number of logged in agents. (Our bigger problem is that there isn't a way, in the versions of Asterisk we use, to cause a queue to be left when all agents logout, but not when they all pause.  There is in trunk, and it might be in 1.6.2.)

As this is a public list, please ignore the confidentiality part of the following.
--
David Woolley
BTS Holdings Plc

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must take no action based upon it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. In accordance with English Law, email communications may be monitored. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure that no viruses are present in this email; however, the company cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this email. We recommend that you subject this email to your own virus checking procedures. BTS Holdings PLC is registered in England 1517630, VAT No 523 5092 66. Registered office, BTS House, Manor Road, Wallington, SM6 0DD