[asterisk-dev] Review board #464 - is it contributed with proper license

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Jan 26 02:34:32 CST 2010

26 jan 2010 kl. 09.21 skrev Tilghman Lesher:

> On Tuesday 26 January 2010 00:57:22 Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>> The code in review board issue #464 has no reference to an open issue in
>> issues.asterisk.org. I haven't checked, but there's a risk that this code
>> is not properly licensed.
>
> No, there isn't.  You cannot post a patch on reviewboard unless you have
> a signed license on Mantis, and the license has been accepted.
Great. Maybe we should add a reference to the license there as we have in Mantis.

>> I think it's a flaw in the process that non-committers can post code on
>> reviewboard without a reference to the license.
>
> It's implicit that the license has already been signed.
Good.

>> There's also no process -
>> who takes it further. Maybe we should have a process where code is first
>> discussed in issues.asterisk.org and only a committer pre-commit posts it
>> and manage the review-board process. Having two different systems for
>> people to post patches is confusing.
>
> We strongly encourage people to post their patches on Reviewboard, as it's
> a great tool for reviewing changes.  One of our developers even posts his own
> patches and critiques them himself, because it makes the review of the whole
> body much easier.

I agree that it's a good tool, but maybe it should not be the starting point for all patches contributed. It's not a good tool to discuss whether a patch is a good thing or not, or discuss the architecture of a solution. I prefer mantis there. Reviewboard is not a good tool to handle the process in my eyes.

/O