[asterisk-dev] Sub Address support for CDR logs

Kai Hoerner kai at ciphron.de
Thu Jan 7 06:16:58 CST 2010

Hi Benny,
> It doesn't seem so bad since the new format only applies to calls
> involving ISDN subaddresses. Those calls could not be made at all
> before, so there is not really any backwards compatibility concern.

Consider an application that parses CDR which is not capable of handling
"address:subaddress" correctly.
The administrator updates Asterisk and eventually ISDN calls with
subaddress come in.

When the syntax of a CDR field changes, the CDR parsers using this field
will have to change, too.
I can definitely see olle's concern about this.

> Whether it's a good idea to add a magic divider in the CDR field is
> debatable though. What happens if ISDN somehow becomes capable of
> alphanumeric dialing? If colon becomes a valid character, the CDR's are
> ambiguous. Perhaps that is unrealistic.

I suggest adding subaddresses to CDR as new fields.
Any CDR parser using SQL can easily ignore these new fields.

For CSV storage we would have to provide backwards compatibility.
A new option to "cdr.conf" like "includesubaddress" to explicitly enable
this feature would do the job.
So when you update Asterisk and keep the existing configs, CDR behaviour
would not change at all.

--Kaii