[asterisk-dev] The fate of 16033

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Feb 17 08:16:36 CST 2010

On 02/17/2010 02:51 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> 17 feb 2010 kl. 09.40 skrev Kirill 'Big K' Katsnelson:
>
>> This issue is certainly a bug, so it might go into branches as a fix, if my understanding of the policy is correct. Since having reported it against 1.6.1.6, I see no activity around it.
>>
>> When I upgrade Asterisk, I am submitting patches against the new revision to that ticket (as I have to maintain the fix), and with hope already faltering that it would make it in sooner or later.
>>
>> Will it? Anything on my side I can do for it, I will.
>>
>> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=16033
>>
> THank you for being stubborn. I can't believe that you opened this in October last year and haven't received any feedback. That means that some policies in regards to how we handle contributions or how existing policies are executed should be reviewed. It's easy for me to say, since I currently has no time or funding to work with the bug tracker and can just blame "someone else" and protect myself with a SEP field from dirt thrown back at me.
>
> I would have liked for someone to have added a quick note saying "thanks for contributing! You're on hold" so you know that the bug tracker is still alive...

I don't think the problem here is policy or process.  The report was
reviewed and moved into "acknowledged" and then "ready for testing"
within a day after being reported.  An "ACK" note would be nice, I
agree, but it was implicitly ACKed very quickly.

The problem, as you note for yourself, is usually time.  As a side
effect of being a very successful project, our issue tracker is
extremely active.  In case anyone is curious how much activity there is
on our issue tracker, take a look at the asterisk-bugs mailing list:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-bugs/2010-January/date.html

That list gets a post every time something gets updated on
issues.asterisk.org.  In the month of January, that list got 2981 messages.

With that level of activity, it's not surprising that we fall behind on
some of the issues.  I'm not happy about it, but I don't think it's a
process or policy problem.  I think it's primarily a resource issue.

If anyone is looking for ways to help out with our issue tracker, please
talk to Leif Madsen (lmadsen at digium.com).  :-)

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager, Open Source Software