[asterisk-dev] Bugs/patches 16033 and 16590 ignored forever

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Thu Apr 22 14:59:17 CDT 2010

François Delawarde wrote:
> Not necessarily if you priorize in that way:
> 1. urgency / whether it affects lots of users
> 2. report quality
> 3. whether it is trivial
> 4. whether it includes a patch
> 5. karma of the reporter
>
> It would just mean that between that a bug having a good report AND a
> trusted reporter would be treated faster than a bug having just a good
> report. Higher karma usually meaning less resources necessary and faster
> resolution.

With the number of issues currently open, we never get back number 2 on that
scale so the karma point is moot.

On your scale I'd switch the order of 3 and 4. Whether something is trivial or
not has less bearing on an issue than if something has a patch. Just because
something is trivial doesn't make it higher on the scale -- it actually makes it
lower.

For the community though a trivial issue may rank higher because it would likely
require less effort from a community member to resolve it (versus a more complex
issue with a patch which requires additional time in code review, etc...).

For the Digium development team the first three (if you switch the order of 3
and 4 in your list) are really the ones that matter the most, because it affects
the greatest number of people (high ROI), report quality (reduces the
engineering effort) and includes a patch (further reduces engineering effort).

Trivial issues can potentially make it up high if the first thing on your list
is satisfied. Otherwise those are issues left for the community to cherry-pick.

If we had tons of community developers clamouring to resolve issues, then I
could see how the karma system could be of use, but the reality is that it does
not make any difference and is just a manual process for bug marshals which
takes away time from performing bug triage.

Leif.