[asterisk-dev] Bugs/patches 16033 and 16590 ignored forever

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Thu Apr 22 09:54:20 CDT 2010

François Delawarde wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 17:49 -0400, Leif Madsen wrote:
>> The karma system was removed a while ago because it never did what it was
>> intended to do. We have since moved to other forms of recognition such as
>> listing patches submitted by developers and those who helped test a bug in the
>> ChangeLogs. We also list at least 5 issues that have been resolved by the
>> community in the release announcements, which has proven to be a better way of
>> recognizing those who contribute on a regular basis.
>
> Appart from recognizing those who contribute in a ChangeLog (which is a
> nice thing), could that recognition be used to speed up the issues and
> patches they post later on?
>
> More or less the more and the better you contribute, the more attention
> you will get in the future if the quality of your testing and/or patches
> has been proven to represent less work for Digium teams. That was the
> point of my Karma question.

Perhaps that could be useful for the community developers, but really the
community developers tend to know each other, and anyone with commit access is
able to introduce themselves. Beyond that, I would encourage people to simply
hang out in the #asterisk-dev IRC channel and get involved in development. That
is the best way of getting recognized.

The karma system wouldn't factor into how the Digium team performs development
because the issues that could potentially affect the greatest number of people
are worked on first; regardless as to who originally filed the issue. That's a
good thing because if someone new comes along and files a good report, and that
report is about something that affects a large number of users, it doesn't make
sense to sit on it just because their karma isn't as high as someone else :)

Leif.