[asterisk-dev] "Digium development team" - not Asterisk dev team

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Apr 20 08:30:20 CDT 2010

Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> 20 apr 2010 kl. 14.48 skrev Leif Madsen:
>
>> The Digium development team
>
> I get sad when I only see this name being used - and not "the Asterisk development team". Maybe it's time to write the history of the old "Asterisk dev team" and put it to rest.
>
> At the same time, because of this being the case in more and more communication from Digium, the expectation only gets bigger that Digium will add all needed resources and it's very hard for the rest of us to get any commercial support for our development work... I will soon have to just file bug reports for a lot of my branches and let the Digium Development Team handle the code to commit before they gets too rotten and old, like the developer who wrote them...

This *entire* email thread is about resource allocation, planning and
management. It is *completely* appropriate to refer to the 'Digium
development team' in that context, because Digium cannot
allocate/plan/manage the community developers' time and efforts for
working on Asterisk. In fact, we've been using the term 'Digium
development team' *on purpose* to highlight the fact that complaints
about issues not being addressed are something that all members of the
Asterisk development team should be paying attention to, not just the
ones that Digium employs. I encourage you (and each of the other members
of the Asterisk development team that are not employed by Digium) to
step up and respond to Kirill's comments/requests about how his issues
are not being addressed, even though he has supplied patches for them.
We (at Digium) cannot respond on your behalf, but since we are the only
ones who did respond to his comments, we clearly had to do so from our
vantage point and to communicate how we manage our resources.

These comments about this not being community focused are really just
inflammatory and uncalled for.

Please point out any line of text in this email thread where 'Digium
development team' was used when it should have been 'Asterisk
development team'. If you can find one, we'll take steps to correct it.
For that matter, if you can point out any other of these communications
you refer to where this is the case, I'd like to know about it. We take
great care to ensure that we communicate these sorts of things properly,
although occasionally mistakes do get made.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com