[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] New application JabberReceive

Jeff Peeler jpeeler at digium.com
Wed Sep 23 15:56:03 CDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> 23 sep 2009 kl. 10.26 skrev Philippe Sultan:
>
> > JabberReceive is a dialplan application that makes Asterisk wait for
> > an XMPP message from a given user (identified with his JID), and
> > store the content in a dialplan variable.
>

> I think this in itself is a topic we need to discuss from an
> architecture standpoint.
>
> 1) Adding a dialplan action that waits for external (outside of call
> context) events
>      Maybe this should be a function with read/write capability
> instead?
>      Maybe it should not wait, but get "next message waiting" or
> return error message.

This sounds like a good idea, but a feature request really, no? I see
a benefit of
having both, but one is already implemented and ready to go.

> 2) Adding protocol specific commands that could be generic
>      Do we need SIPsend, RTPsend (t.140) and XMPPsend ?

Well, SendText isn't protocol specific so that's done. Eventually a
generic ReceiveText
would be good too, but why can't that be done later?

> There's a lot of complex scenarios that we need to take care of. Will
> an incoming message break a background/waitexten operation?  What
> happens during a bridged call? People will want to use text channel to
> redirect (transfer) calls and other things, especially with the new
> bridge that's coming together.

More good ideas that would be evaluated during the creation of ReceiveText.

> I do understand that Jabber has special requirements here, but there
> are also many common factors in regards to other protocols. We need to
> be very careful so we do this right and handle this properly in
> regards to our precious multiprotocol telephony architecture :-)

Jeff Peeler
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer