[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] New application JabberReceive

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Sep 23 03:45:56 CDT 2009

23 sep 2009 kl. 10.26 skrev Philippe Sultan:

> JabberReceive is a dialplan application that makes Asterisk wait for
> an XMPP message from a given user (identified with his JID), and
> store the content in a dialplan variable.

I think this in itself is a topic we need to discuss from an
architecture standpoint.

1) Adding a dialplan action that waits for external (outside of call
context) events
      Maybe this should be a function with read/write capability
instead?
      Maybe it should not wait, but get "next message waiting" or
return error message.

2) Adding protocol specific commands that could be generic
      Do we need SIPsend, RTPsend (t.140) and XMPPsend ?

There's a lot of complex scenarios that we need to take care of. Will
an incoming message break a background/waitexten operation?  What
happens during a bridged call? People will want to use text channel to
redirect (transfer) calls and other things, especially with the new
bridge that's coming together.

I do understand that Jabber has special requirements here, but there
are also many common factors in regards to other protocols. We need to
be very careful so we do this right and handle this properly in
regards to our precious multiprotocol telephony architecture :-)

Cheers,
/O