[asterisk-dev] Fwd: [Code Review] New application JabberReceive

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Sep 25 09:45:34 CDT 2009

I just noticed that this was committed even though I had objections
earlier...  I am resending my earlier mail that seems to have failed
transmission on airport network, even though it's marked as "sent" in
my mailbox. Who can trust this TCP/IP stuff?

Kevin and I discussed this a bit wednesday evening.

I really think we need a discussion about the architecture of
JabberReceive and JabberSend.
Do we really want SkypeSend/SkypeReceive/SipSend/SIPReceive or are we
going for multiprotocol?

Since it's only in trunk, we still have time for discussion and changes.

Apart from that, I want to thank Philippe for all his good work. There
was a lot of discussion about chan_rtmp at voip2day in Madrid!

/O

Vidarebefordrat brev:

> Från: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej at edvina.net>
> Datum: 23 september 2009 10.45.56 CEST
> Till: Asterisk Developers Mailing List <asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com>
> Dold kopia: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej at edvina.net>
> Ämne: Re: [asterisk-dev] [Code Review] New application JabberReceive
>

> 23 sep 2009 kl. 10.26 skrev Philippe Sultan:
>
>> JabberReceive is a dialplan application that makes Asterisk wait
>> for an XMPP message from a given user (identified with his JID),
>> and store the content in a dialplan variable.
>

> I think this in itself is a topic we need to discuss from an
> architecture standpoint.
>
> 1) Adding a dialplan action that waits for external (outside of call
> context) events
>     Maybe this should be a function with read/write capability
> instead?
>     Maybe it should not wait, but get "next message waiting" or
> return error message.
>
> 2) Adding protocol specific commands that could be generic
>     Do we need SIPsend, RTPsend (t.140) and XMPPsend ?
>
> There's a lot of complex scenarios that we need to take care of.
> Will an incoming message break a background/waitexten operation?
> What happens during a bridged call? People will want to use text
> channel to redirect (transfer) calls and other things, especially
> with the new bridge that's coming together.
>
> I do understand that Jabber has special requirements here, but there
> are also many common factors in regards to other protocols. We need
> to be very careful so we do this right and handle this properly in
> regards to our precious multiprotocol telephony architecture :-)
>
> Cheers,
> /O

---
* Olle E Johansson - oej at edvina.net
* Cell phone +46 70 593 68 51, Office +46 8 96 40 20, Sweden