[asterisk-dev] Insulting source code comments in main/channel.c

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) vhatz at kinetix.gr
Mon Nov 23 15:16:54 CST 2009

Steve Murphy wrote:

> Exactly. I can't express to you enough that "taking insult" is simply a
> choice,
> and almost always, a bad one. It does you nor anyone any good to
> choose to be offended. So why bother?
>
> Human pride is not a healthy state.  It blinds you to reality. Avoid it all
> costs. The English "taking" insult is an interesting but accurate turn of
> phrase. To "take" insult implies that it does not belong to you. Contention
> is rarely useful. Avoid it for more positive behavior.

Steve, I agree 100% with the above. But not all of us are Buddhas
incarnate. We are all sensitive about a few things, we all have our
buttons as we say. And insult, taking or giving it is still a reality in
this world.

Please put the blame on the insult-or first and not the insult-ee :)

> And, nowhere on the web is it demanded to end all humorous with :), ;), or
> whatever. For stuff as obvious as the statement you read, you, as a netizen,
> are expected to assume it.

No, it is not necessary to include :), ;), as long as you make a clear
point of being humorous, as a writer. If not, you may be misunderstood.
And if the readers takes the wrong message because of this it is not
their fault.

Can you really say that the comment was so blatantly humorous to you but
only me and a few others did not understand it?