[asterisk-dev] Insulting source code comments in main/channel.c

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Mon Nov 23 13:20:19 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) <
vhatz at kinetix.gr> wrote:

> Steve Murphy wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI)
> > <vhatz at kinetix.gr <mailto:vhatz at kinetix.gr>> wrote:
> >
> >     I can't believe what I'm reading... Some people are being spat upon
> and
> >     they think its raining!
> >
> >     Or at least they don't recognize in others the right to feel offended
> >     under certain circumstances.
> >
> >     In this case then, I'm sorry, I take back everything I wrote. The
> >     comment was right: Europeans seem to be silly after all.
> >

> > "Silly" is so low on the insult scale, that someone really
> > angy would lose all his heated steam by even using
> > "silly". His anger would seem silly, or laughable. Everyone around would
> > see the
> > irony and start laughing. The person who used it would/should have a
> > tough time
> > keeping a straight face himself. So, "silly" is more for humor than
> > anything else.
> > If you want to get more insulting, more strong, use something like
> > "ridiculous".
> >
> > It reminds me of the Prince, hunting the captors of his kidnapped
> > fiance, in the
> > movie "The Princess Bride": "If they kill her, I will be "miffed"! Or
> > did he use
> > "peeved"? I can't remember!
> >
> > It's wise not to take insult where none was intended. Let your attitude
> > be that
> > of the Black Knight: "It's only a flesh wound!"
> >
> > murf
>
> Indeed it is wise not to take offense only if _no offense was intended_.
> But can you really be sure about the intentions of the writer in that
> particular sentence of comment in the code?
>
> If the original writer had no insult in mind he could have used a ":)"
> or even a ":P" to indicate his intentions. But he chose not to and
> unfortunately the literal reading of the sentence does not convey the
> intentions of the writer.
>
> So, it is up to each reader to decide if he is offended or not.
> Therefore, some people _were_ actually offended by the literal meaning
> of the sentence, because to them (me included) he left no doubt that he
> actually believes that Europeans are silly because they use one codec
> over the other.
>
> And a question to all of you who believe we should not take offense by
> this comment:
>
> Please tell me with all sincerity, if such a remark about a group of
> people being silly was done against any other group (for ex. various
> minority groups), would there not be a storm of reactions from all
> directions, even if the comment was _clearly_ with good intentions?
>
> So, why not in this case, too?
>
> Don't we have the _same_ right to feel offended?
>
> Or do we have to twist the meaning of a sentence until it does no
> offense and we brush it off, just to feel magnanimous, aloof,
> untouchable by petty remarks, to say "It's only a flesh wound!" like the
> [...]
Exactly. I can't express to you enough that "taking insult" is simply a
choice,
and almost always, a bad one. It does you nor anyone any good to
choose to be offended. So why bother?

Human pride is not a healthy state.  It blinds you to reality. Avoid it all
costs. The English "taking" insult is an interesting but accurate turn of
phrase. To "take" insult implies that it does not belong to you. Contention
is rarely useful. Avoid it for more positive behavior.

And, nowhere on the web is it demanded to end all humorous with :), ;), or
whatever. For stuff as obvious as the statement you read, you, as a netizen,
are expected to assume it.

So, yes, you are expected to brush it off, remain always magnanimous,
and humble, and never take offense. Life is so much easier that way.

murf

Regards,
> Vlasis.
>
> PS: To those who post diagrams and stats on how much swearing can be
> found in various open source project: The argument here is not about
> using foul language ("silly" can hardly be categorized as foul). It is
> about a demeaning comment against a group of people found in public,
> open source code. This is why it is meaningless to utilize such
> diagrams/stats in this discussion.

Steve Murphy
ParseTree Corp