[asterisk-dev] Insulting source code comments in main/channel.c

Floimair Florian f.floimair at commend.com
Mon Nov 23 02:30:33 CST 2009

Hi guys!

While reading through some of the code today I came across this in main/channel.c (line no. 655 in 1.4.27)

/*! \brief Pick the best audio codec */

int ast_best_codec(int fmts)

{

      /* This just our opinion, expressed in code.  We are asked to choose

         the best codec to use, given no information */

      int x;

      static int prefs[] =

      {

            /*! Okay, ulaw is used by all telephony equipment, so start with it */

            AST_FORMAT_ULAW,

            /*! Unless of course, you're a silly European, so then prefer ALAW */

            AST_FORMAT_ALAW,

Well, what can I say. I'm European but I'm definitely not silly. This is not only insulting but also very narrow-minded. Therefore I kindly request you to remove the "silly" from the comment in the code.

I have no idea who is responsible for that but for an open source project I suppose that a lot of people have had a look on this and did not offend, which is kind of awkward.

Also I would like to note that u-law is the suitable codec for North America and Japan, while the majority of the rest of the world uses a-law (so the "comment" would in fact better fit to the Americans/Japanese and u-law).

But enough of the talk. Please just remove the word "silly" from the comment and everyone should be fine.

With best regards

Florian Floimair
Firmware Development

COMMEND INTERNATIONAL GMBH