[asterisk-dev] Ideas on starting a background "autoservice" playback of a prompt, allowing dialplan/agi to continue in the meantime

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Thu May 28 13:22:52 CDT 2009

2009/5/28 Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com>

> I do this with a multi-threaded AGI that authorizes credit card
> transactions. I create a thread to play "Please wait while..." and then
> process the authorization in the "foreground."
>
> By the time the prompt finishes I usually have my authorization response
> so the process appears instantaneous to the caller.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't think it will work for me, though,
because in my "other thread" I need to issue other actions to Asterisk.

Putting AGI aside, am I the only one who thinks it would be "neat" to be
able to start a file playing in the dialplan and in the meantime do "other
stuff"?

Steve

PS: Kevin I will look into externalivr.  Thanks for that.