[asterisk-dev] Ideas on starting a background "autoservice" playback of a prompt, allowing dialplan/agi to continue in the meantime

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu May 28 10:53:27 CDT 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Stephen Davies wrote:

> I have an application where I need to be able to start a file playing back
> on a channel, but be able to continue with execution in my agi-script /
> dialplan whilst the file plays.  I will then stop the playback later.
>
> The idea is to start a "please wait" type message on the channel but be able
> to continue routing the call in the meantime and be able to immediately
> interrupt and cancel the playback when we have something to do.  Kind of
> like a "ringing" but using a generator that plays back a file.

I do this with a multi-threaded AGI that authorizes credit card
transactions. I create a thread to play "Please wait while..." and then
process the authorization in the "foreground."

By the time the prompt finishes I usually have my authorization response
so the process appears instantaneous to the caller.

Thanks in advance,