[asterisk-dev] About asterisk development plans

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Mar 18 12:38:53 CDT 2009

> Wouldn't step one be picking what to test? Do you think the features
> page I listed is a good starting point, i.e. everything in
> asterisk-xxxx.tar.gz, not
> addons or libs. But I could see tests for dahdi and libpri etc. later.

To show the complexity of what we're discussing:

Let's take blind transfer.

It can be done

- in the pbx core
- in the SIP channel
- in the ZAP/dahdi channel
- from manager

And propably a few other ways that I don't know or forgot about.

Now take all the channel drivers we have and let's make sure that
blind transfer works from every channel to the same channel and to
every other channel. For SIP and ZAP/DAHDI you need to run twice.

And then we have to check logs and CDRs for this.

On top of this, transfers *should* go through the dialplan and there
are many, many ways they can be handled in there. And there are
settings in the dialplan and in features.conf that control behaviour
of transfers.

Now we're up to a massive amount of tests.

Then add various phone vendor's implementations.

One bullet point, many, many hours of work. A lot of possibility to
cause a bug when you fix something else.

Guessing, a lot of these but not all can be handled automatically. And
that would be a great help.
It's not an easy task though.

/O