[asterisk-dev] About asterisk development plans

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 13:07:45 CDT 2009

I'm not saying we test every combination at first.

If we say, tested with these settings, this dialplan and these
channels with these pieces of kit. It's a start with a todo list.

This should be a test engineers job eventually to start. Remember,
initially it's a big chunk of work at first, but the benefits are
huge.

Like I said for the OpenLDAP project, we are missings lots, but we
know it works prior to release (sometimes ;-) ).

What is the easiest feature to test?

Thanks.

On 18/03/2009, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

>> Wouldn't step one be picking what to test? Do you think the features
>> page I listed is a good starting point, i.e. everything in
>> asterisk-xxxx.tar.gz, not
>> addons or libs. But I could see tests for dahdi and libpri etc. later.
>
> To show the complexity of what we're discussing:
>
> Let's take blind transfer.
>
> It can be done
>
> - in the pbx core
> - in the SIP channel
> - in the ZAP/dahdi channel
> - from manager
>
> And propably a few other ways that I don't know or forgot about.
>
> Now take all the channel drivers we have and let's make sure that
> blind transfer works from every channel to the same channel and to
> every other channel. For SIP and ZAP/DAHDI you need to run twice.
>
> And then we have to check logs and CDRs for this.
>
> On top of this, transfers *should* go through the dialplan and there
> are many, many ways they can be handled in there. And there are
> settings in the dialplan and in features.conf that control behaviour
> of transfers.
>
> Now we're up to a massive amount of tests.
>
> Then add various phone vendor's implementations.
>
> One bullet point, many, many hours of work. A lot of possibility to
> cause a bug when you fix something else.
>
> Guessing, a lot of these but not all can be handled automatically. And
> that would be a great help.
> It's not an easy task though.
>
> /O

Sent from my mobile device