[asterisk-dev] About asterisk development plans

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 12:25:23 CDT 2009

> If you search the mailing lists, you will see that this has been
> brought forward
> a large number of times. There has been efforts by mutliple developers
> to start
> with a test framework. The work that is in the code today is mostly
> murf's
> test suite for the AEL parse and a few others.

OK, silly me. I should have searched before!

> Digium also runs a few test servers that run build tests, but not
> function tests
> as far as I know.

OK, are these tests in svn or are they only for Digium? What I'm after
is who should drive this, i.e. where the central build node should be for
results etc. like Samba. Someone needs to own the center and the rest
gets added by companies or users with weird hardware/examples ;-)

> If you can step forward and help us build a foundation for a test
> suite, it will
> be extremely appreciated!

Wouldn't step one be picking what to test? Do you think the features
page I listed is a good starting point, i.e. everything in
asterisk-xxxx.tar.gz, not
addons or libs. But I could see tests for dahdi and libpri etc. later.

I can help by telling what I know and pointing to others that are doing it.

I don't know the core of Asterisk as well as you guys.

Basically Samba is scripts that run in cron on the clients machines, run the
test suite and send back results to the page I listed before (there more to it
of course).

Then there should probably be strictly controlled dialplans that pass
or fail covering
the features I mentioned.

The scripts could just be calls placed to the system. I not sure if
anyone does test-driven
development for their code, but there are lots of C frameworks out there.

The OpenLDAP project just runs shell scripts calling all our tools and
testing the actual
features and things we expect should work out the of box, not the
code. If something fails, the test suite
stops and the debug logs get checked. Pretty simple, but works.

Thanks.

--
http://www.suretecsystems.com/services/openldap/