[asterisk-dev] About asterisk development plans

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Mar 18 12:06:17 CDT 2009

18 mar 2009 kl. 17.57 skrev Gavin Henry:

> 2009/3/18 John Lange <john at johnlange.ca>:
>> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 10:44 -0400, Mihai Balea wrote:
>>> As far as I know, there is no test harness, so it's not surprising
>>> that regressions pop up as often as they do.
>>
>> I think this is the most important point. There should be a test
>> bench
>> that automatically confirms every (supported) feature is working
>> before
>> it's released. If the process was automated then it shouldn't take
>> that
>> long to run the tests.
>
> Hi,
>
> I think this is key and just about every open source project has a
> "make test".
>
> Take Perl and the CPAN. If your distro doesn't have a "make test",
> many people
> won't use your code, as they have no way of know if your libs work.
>
> I'm part of the OpenLDAP project and our Release & QA Engineer does
> all this.
>
> Does Asterisk have one/somebody?
>
> Our Release & QA Engineer makes sure all the right patches are
> applied to the
> CVS branch and calls for testing. Our "make test" runs around 55
> tests, but as usual
> could do with many, many more. But this means we don't release if
> there is a failure
> and don't have any regressions.
>
> I understand * will be hard to develop a test suite for, but we should
> at least try to have a
> test for every feature listed here:
>
> http://www.asterisk.org/support/features
>
> We could do virtualisation different architures etc. dependant on the
> feature we are testing or
> even do smoke testing etc. I don't know, but it would be good to know
> it works before it is
> released. We may even need virtual devices etc.
>
> Another great example is the Samba project:
>
> http://build.samba.org/
>
> People or companies interested in seeing their kit and/or platform
> supported add a node to the build
> farm and send the results in.
>
> If the test suite is deployed like this, people desperate for testing
> will add their servers.

If you search the mailing lists, you will see that this has been
brought forward
a large number of times. There has been efforts by mutliple developers
to start
with a test framework. The work that is in the code today is mostly
murf's
test suite for the AEL parse and a few others.

Digium also runs a few test servers that run build tests, but not
function tests
as far as I know.

If you can step forward and help us build a foundation for a test
suite, it will
be extremely appreciated!

/Olle