[asterisk-dev] About asterisk development plans

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 11:57:59 CDT 2009

2009/3/18 John Lange <john at johnlange.ca>:
> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 10:44 -0400, Mihai Balea wrote:
>> As far as I know, there is no test harness, so it's not surprising
>> that regressions pop up as often as they do.
>
> I think this is the most important point. There should be a test bench
> that automatically confirms every (supported) feature is working before
> it's released. If the process was automated then it shouldn't take that
> long to run the tests.

Hi,

I think this is key and just about every open source project has a "make test".

Take Perl and the CPAN. If your distro doesn't have a "make test", many people
won't use your code, as they have no way of know if your libs work.

I'm part of the OpenLDAP project and our Release & QA Engineer does all this.

Does Asterisk have one/somebody?

Our Release & QA Engineer makes sure all the right patches are applied to the
CVS branch and calls for testing. Our "make test" runs around 55
tests, but as usual
could do with many, many more. But this means we don't release if
there is a failure
and don't have any regressions.

I understand * will be hard to develop a test suite for, but we should
at least try to have a
test for every feature listed here:

http://www.asterisk.org/support/features

We could do virtualisation different architures etc. dependant on the
feature we are testing or
even do smoke testing etc. I don't know, but it would be good to know
it works before it is
released. We may even need virtual devices etc.

Another great example is the Samba project:

http://build.samba.org/

People or companies interested in seeing their kit and/or platform
supported add a node to the build
farm and send the results in.

If the test suite is deployed like this, people desperate for testing
will add their servers.

> Obviously there would be a significant amount of work to get it setup
> the first time but after that, by definition, there shouldn't be changes
> required to test a stable branch.
>
> I'm picturing two Asterisk boxes with a combination of FXO, FXS, and PRI
> cards along with sip client testing software (sipp).

Yeah, or more.

I managed to get a big chunk of money from google for a test server
for virtualisation
for the OpenLDAP test archs. It was a 32GB ram, Quad, quad core box.
If money is an issue,
 we could try them? Not sure how their Google Voice is powered.

Thanks.

--
http://www.suretecsystems.com/services/openldap/