[asterisk-dev] About asterisk development plans

Mihai Balea mihai at hates.ms
Wed Mar 18 09:44:34 CDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 8:30 AM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>  I really wonder how a "supposed" stable version
> (1.4.23-X) in a "supposed" froozen release (1.4) can be published with
> this feature not working. Is it possible that no developer has tested
> such a feature before releasing 1.4.23, 1.4.23-1 and 1.4.23-2?

As far as I know, there is no test harness, so it's not surprising
that regressions pop up as often as they do.

Also, for all the people wondering how this whole 1.4 situation came
to be, you have to realize that 1.4 is "stable" only in name. The code
has been evolving, both in features and internal architecture.  When
1.4 was first branched off, some design decision were made, that
proved to be ... unfortunate... to avoid using stronger terms.  As a
consequence, the code had to be reengineered and that introduced some
of the bugs people are complaining about in latter versions of 1.4
(while fixing a slew of other bugs).

What is more concerning though, is that Asterisk is growing into a
massive, tightly coupled, multithreaded pile of code, and that is a
recipe for unmaintainability.  I don't know how Digium plans to
control this problem, I'm just glad I'm not one of the people
responsible for dealing with it.

That being said, consider the bright side.  I'm assuming most of you
use the Open Source version of Asterisk.  WIth that, you're getting a
full-featured PBX system, with source code, at no initial cost.  I
don't think there is anything comparable out there, OSS or commercial.
With commercial solutions, you don't even get the chance to fix
problems yourself, and trust me, they do have problems.  Please note
that I said that Asterisk comes at no initial cost.  That doesn't mean
it's free... dealing with its warts will cost you, in terms of time,
effort and/or money.  It comes with the territory, you just have to
figure out if this is something you are willing to do.

Anyways, just my $0.02...

Cheers,
Mihai