[asterisk-dev] About asterisk development plans

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Wed Mar 18 07:30:31 CDT 2009

El Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:00:07 +0200
Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> escribió:

> > As you said that is "hearsay". I also know people that install 1.2 branch
> > because 1.4 and 1.6 are not suitable form them.

Let me show an example:

In Asterisk 1.4.23-X pickup code doesnt' work due to a bug:
  http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=14206

It's however fixed in 1.4.24.

Please note we are not speaking about a memory management related bug,
neither about Asterisk internal subjects, but about a basic *user*
feature (call pickup). I really wonder how a "supposed" stable version
(1.4.23-X) in a "supposed" froozen release (1.4) can be published with
this feature not working. Is it possible that no developer has tested
such a feature before releasing 1.4.23, 1.4.23-1 and 1.4.23-2?

Personally I would never install the latest "stable" release. Instead
of that, I'll wait for the Changelog of "stable+1" release, and then I
will patch manually those bug fixes in which I'd be interested. Having
the actual release policy in mind, upgrading to the latest "supposed"
stable version is really dangerous (as each Changelog shows).

Please take my comment as constructive as possible, that is my aim.

Best regards.