[asterisk-dev] Commit Message Guidlines

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Feb 10 10:36:17 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:05:46AM -0600, Russell Bryant wrote:
> This is just a friendly reminder that guidelines for commit messages
> have been written down in doxygen documentation format.  The contents
> are mostly what we have been doing unofficially.  However, I do
> request that everyone start trying to follow these guidelines for
> every commit to the main branches (trunk, 1.4, 1.6.0, etc.).
>
> As we become more and more standardized on a common format, it will be
> easier to develop tools that pull out useful information, such as
> listing all of the contributors of code for a release.  :-)
>
> http://www.asterisk.org/doxygen/trunk/CommitMessages.html

I see there:

| Some commit history viewers treat the first line of commit messages as
| the summary for the commit. So, an effort should be made to format our
| commit messages in that fashion. The verbose description may contain
| multiple paragraphs, itemized lists, etc.

However later on:

| Commit Messages with svnmerge
|
| When using the svnmerge tool for merging changes between branches, use
| the commit message generated by svnmerge. The '-f' option to svnmerge
| allows you to specify a file for svnmerge to write out a commit message
| to. The '-F' option to svn commit allows you to specify a file that
| contains the commit message.

Thus you get summary lines that look like:

  Merged revisions 174369 via svnmerge from
  https://origsvn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.4

Problems:

1. Invalid link
2. (especially for a one-commit merge) - this is not a description of
   the commit.

This one is:

http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk?view=revision&revision=174370

--