[asterisk-dev] Commit Message Guidlines

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Feb 10 10:42:59 CST 2009

On Feb 10, 2009, at 10:36 AM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> | Commit Messages with svnmerge
> |
> | When using the svnmerge tool for merging changes between branches,
> use
> | the commit message generated by svnmerge. The '-f' option to
> svnmerge
> | allows you to specify a file for svnmerge to write out a commit
> message
> | to. The '-F' option to svn commit allows you to specify a file that
> | contains the commit message.
>
> Thus you get summary lines that look like:
>
>  Merged revisions 174369 via svnmerge from
>  https://origsvn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.4
>
> Problems:
>
> 1. Invalid link
> 2. (especially for a one-commit merge) - this is not a description of
>   the commit.
>
> This one is:
>
> http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk?view=revision&revision=174370

That is a great point.  I really think we should modify our version of
the svnmerge tool to format the message differently such that the
information about where the code from just gets put at the bottom
instead of as a wrapper for the commit message.

As for the invalid link, I'm sure we could add some magic that fixes
that, too.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead