[asterisk-dev] [policy] Language specific prompts

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Feb 6 14:10:32 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:57:32AM -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> Ever so often, we get requests on the bugtracker, stating that this or that
> language is not pronounced correctly.  For English, Spanish, and French,
> where we have standardized those prompts (and documented each), this
> isn't a problem.  More recently, for someone who brought the Hebrew language
> to Asterisk, I required the reporter to create an Open Document Spreadsheet
> (commonly written by OpenOffice.org) detailing every single prompt, the module
> in which it is required, and the native language script, to be used by a
> native language speaker in creating a new set of prompts.

Off-topic: Is there a reason that document is not plain text?

(Yes, I don't mind converting it myself. And Nir, I know you read this
list :-)

> I am proposing, as a matter of policy, that anybody wishing to make ANY
> change whatsoever to multi-language support, that they should have to document
> every single prompt in that native language, in a fashion that is identical to
> the Hebrew document (which may be found in doc/lang/).
>
> Trying to get every source to agree on the contents of prompts is incredibly
> difficult without having a set of documentation on which to fall back, and I
> believe that having this documentation will go a long ways towards making
> these kinds of issues more readily resolvable.
>
> Additionally, note that the Hebrew language prompts are written in a
> non-Western script, so we have already found a solution which addresses
> that particular issue.

What would you like to see there? The non-western script seems a must
for me to avoid ambigiouty.

Do you want something in the lines of:

  filename	meaning (English)	Words (original script)

The text of the English sound files often spans more than one line per
entry. E.g. 5 lines or so for the "codezone".

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com