[asterisk-dev] [policy] Language specific prompts

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Feb 6 11:57:32 CST 2009

Ever so often, we get requests on the bugtracker, stating that this or that
language is not pronounced correctly.  For English, Spanish, and French,
where we have standardized those prompts (and documented each), this
isn't a problem.  More recently, for someone who brought the Hebrew language
to Asterisk, I required the reporter to create an Open Document Spreadsheet
(commonly written by OpenOffice.org) detailing every single prompt, the module
in which it is required, and the native language script, to be used by a
native language speaker in creating a new set of prompts.

I am proposing, as a matter of policy, that anybody wishing to make ANY
change whatsoever to multi-language support, that they should have to document
every single prompt in that native language, in a fashion that is identical to
the Hebrew document (which may be found in doc/lang/).

Trying to get every source to agree on the contents of prompts is incredibly
difficult without having a set of documentation on which to fall back, and I
believe that having this documentation will go a long ways towards making
these kinds of issues more readily resolvable.

Additionally, note that the Hebrew language prompts are written in a
non-Western script, so we have already found a solution which addresses
that particular issue.

--
Tilghman