[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6.2.0 Now Available!

Faidon Liambotis paravoid at debian.org
Mon Dec 21 15:04:13 CST 2009

Asterisk Development Team wrote:
> The Asterisk Development Team has announced the release of Asterisk 1.6.2.0, and
> Asterisk-Addons 1.6.2.0. These releases are available for immediate download at
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/
>
> The release of Asterisk 1.6.2.0 is the first feature release since Asterisk
> 1.6.1.0, which was released April 27, 2009. Many new features have been included
> in this release. For a complete list of changes, please see the CHANGES file.
> For those upgrading from a previous release, please see UPGRADE.txt
>
> It should be explicitly stated that Asterisk 1.6.2.0 is a major upgrade over any
> previous release, and special care should be taken when upgrading existing
> systems. Please see the UPGRADE.txt file for more information, available at:
What's the support status of this release? Your roadmap page[1] doesn't
mention anything for 1.6.2. Last I heard, your plans were to not support
it for long, which could be a problem for at least Debian -- even though
I'd guess that Ubuntu will have probably the same problem, possibly RHEL
too.

If the old schedule still applies, I am afraid Debian won't be able to
security support Asterisk for its whole release cycle and that would be
a terrible thing from our PoV.

FWIW, our freeze is scheduled for March 2010; our release cycles are
~1.5-2 years and we security-support releases for a year at most since
the next release. That would mean that we need to support something till
~2013, way off from any of your release's schedule.

Regards,
Faidon

1: https://issues.asterisk.org/roadmap_page.php