[asterisk-dev] SIP replies to via or to ip/port (according toRFC)

Nick Lewis Nick.Lewis at atltelecom.com
Thu Dec 17 05:10:05 CST 2009

>nat=yes:
>
>1) Force an rport parameter in the first Via header. The (default)
procedures
>described in paragraph A above will do the rest.
>
>2) Force symmetric RTP.

I think that strictly speaking it is down to the UAC behind the firewall
request RFC3581 behaviour by adding an empty rport rather than the
asterisk
UAS adding it unilaterally. However I agree with this approach so that
if
the setting is nat=yes (rather than nat=route or nat=never) asterisk
will operate "as if" the UAC had added the rport parameter.

The situation with nat=no is more tricky - perhaps the default could be
changed to nat=never and nat=no depecated.

It may be worth having another setting nat=compliant that just does as
rfc3581
requires i.e. if rport is received then use both symmetric rtp and
symmetric
sip.

Also we need to consider an option nat=auto that operates as per nat=yes
but
only for contact addresses 192.168.0.0/16 172.32.0.0/12 and 10.0.0.0/8

This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
Disclaimer of Liability
ATL Telecom Ltd shall not be held liable for any improper or incorrect use of the  information described and/or contained herein and assumes no responsibility for anyones use  of the information. In no event shall ATL Telecom Ltd be liable for any direct, indirect,  incidental, special, exemplary, or consequential damages (including, but not limited to,  procurement or substitute goods or services; loss of use, data, or profits; or business  interruption) however caused and on any theory of liability, whether in contract, strict  liability, or tort (including negligence or otherwise) arising in any way out of the use of  this system, even if advised of the possibility of such damage.

Registered Office: ATL Telecom Ltd, Fountain Lane, St. Mellons Cardiff, CF3 0FB
Registered in Wales Number 4335781

All goods and services supplied by ATL Telecom Ltd are supplied subject to ATL Telecom Ltd standard terms and conditions, available upon request.