[asterisk-dev] Defining new section type in sip.conf - question about syntax

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Wed Apr 15 09:13:33 CDT 2009

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 April 2009 03:01:07 Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>> The section prefix is ugly, but easier to handle in the code. The
>> type= I personally
>> think is confusing and a bad solution. Having a separate config file
>> makes more sense to me, given the syntax confusion.
>
> As the interface guy, I have to interject that ugliness in favor of code
> simplification should NEVER be an option.  I've personally made things
> less efficient in the loading phase in order to promote elegance in the
> configuration file, and I would hope that we would always choose elegance
> of configuration over ease of coding.

I think the separate configuration file idea is probably the best resolution to
  the ease-of-use vs ease-of-coding problem. If you need the domains to be
parsed before the users and peers, then parse the separate file first, and then
parse sip.conf. Since there is precedence for doing this (sip_notify.conf,
queue_rules.conf) I say go for it.

Mark Michelson