[asterisk-dev] XML documentation for applications and functions

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Wed Sep 17 16:02:44 CDT 2008

Hi all,

In a previous mail I asked for feedback on our proposal for an XML
format to document applications and functions inside asterisk.
That post gave us a lot of feedback and good ideas.

bbryant, eliel and me used all this to make this actually happen.

So here's the state of things as it is now:
The format is pretty matured thanks the feedback from jsmith and
lmadsen.
eliel did a huge job in coding the parsing (with help from bbryant and
me) of the xml format we came up with.
jsmith and me converted some applications and functions into the new
format.
Testing has been done by the persons already mentioned, and some others.

So, here we are. We have the code in a branch and it's working great (at
least we think)
Now we need feedback from the rest of you !

So if you have a spare hour please checkout the branch, compile,
install, and run 'core show application <someapp>' and look what
happens.

The applications that are converted are:
ADSIProg
AlarmReceiver
AMD
Authenticate
NoCDR
ChanIsAvail
ChannelRedirect
Dial
RetryDial
Echo
SendFAX
ReceiveFAX
JACK
MorseCode
Page
SendDTMF

The functions thate are converted:
SHELL

Once you have compiled and installed the branch you can find the xml
file in doc/core-en_US.xml

Please provide us feedback so we can bring this to an asterisk near you
in the near future !

Branch:
team/group/appdocsxml

svn command to checkout:
svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/appdocsxml

Thank you.

--

Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu
http://michiel.vanbaak.eu

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?"