[asterisk-dev] Some wild thoughts about logging

Johan Wilfer johan at wilfer.se
Tue Sep 9 14:01:45 CDT 2008

Brian Degenhardt skrev:
> Chris Howard wrote:
>
>> Ralfe Poisson wrote:
>>
>>> I have an AGI system that works off of a calling card system. I have
>>> very verbose logging for this AGI system and I store the caller_id and
>>> account_number for every log entry. I find it extremely useful for
>>> working out what they are doing wrong, or what the system has done in
>>> certain circumstances.
>>>
>>> If Asterisk could have a similar feature built into its CDR database,
>>> that would be a massive help in troubleshooting and debugging, and it
>>> would help the support techs as well.
>>>
>>> Ralfe
>>>

>> I believe that murf is working on a "New CDR System" that might do what
>> you are talking about.
>>
>> See: http://venturevoip.com/news.php?rssid=1714
>>

> Sorry for the plug, but I'm giving a talk about exactly this at Astricon:
>
> http://www.astricon.net/2008/glendale/web/confTracks.php#t159
>
> CEL: An Introduction to Asterisk's New Call Logging Mechanism - Brian
> Degenhardt
> CEL is an experimental new mechanism for logging calls in asterisk
> targeted at not only identifying that a call occurred, but actually what
> happened in the call. This talk will answer questions about what CEL is,
> what you can do with it, and how to use it.
>
> cheers
> -bmd

As of right now my need was to follow the SIP messages that was exchanged.
Could you do this with CEL? The sip history printing at the end of the
call is very usefull, I've thought about exposing it as a variable that
could be retrieved (and put into a database) in the h-extension. However
this looks like a hack to me, and I guess there realy is a need for
something more flexible and general.

I would really need to the information in a _database_. Even a table
like this:
   id : primary key auto_increment,
   timestamp : time / date
   data: textblob
would make it better than today, in many ways. If we later on could add
(quoting Jay) "HOST MODULE LEVEL SEVERITY CHANNEL CALLID CALLTAG
MESSAGE" it would be super-duper.. :-)

/Johan